Navigation

|   Home   |   About   |   Broadway   |   Baking   |   Contact   |   Disclosure   |

Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July Macarons

I have a major obsession with French macarons.  So for the past several months, I've been slowly trying to perfect my macaron recipe.  I mainly use the recipes and instruction in Cecile Cannone's book Macarons: Authentic French Cookie Recipes from the Macaron Cafe.  Cannone provides detailed instructions with photos that yield great results.

I wanted to create a macaron in the theme of the upcoming 4th of July holiday.  This was somewhat difficult given the limitations of Independence Day themed baking.  This was the best I could come up with.


Cookie Stats:
Shell:  uncolored, plain macaron shell with red, white and blue star sprinkles
Filling: fresh raspberry jam

Initially, I planned to make one shell blue and leave the other uncolored (i.e. white), so that I would have a white shell, a blue shell and a red filling.  But I ultimately chickened out on the blue coloring.  Something about largely blue-colored foods just makes me uneasy.

Daily Monku:  Is it macaron or macaroon?  To me, macaroon is a coconut cookie, while macaron (like those I made above) is the soft shelled "sandwich" cookie (which incidentally could be coconut flavored).  I've found such indecision over the spelling/pronunciation of these cookies.  The worst case being the book Macarons by Berengere Abraham, in which the title uses the single "o" spelling, while every page within the book uses the "oo" spelling.  I mean at least be consistent within your own work, right?  I myself have taken to calling them macaroon-rons to cover both bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment