Navigation

|   Home   |   About   |   Broadway   |   Baking   |   Contact   |   Disclosure   |

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chocolate Sable Cookies

I'm a big fan of Oreo cookies.  So much so, that I've made it a personal quest to learn how to recreate the taste and texture of Oreos at home (I'm sadly fearful that the iconic "taste" of an Oreo may be due to some unnatural flavoring on Nabisco's part).  I did a bit of research and discovered that renowned chef Thomas Keller (owner of The French Laundry and Per Se) also likes them.  He has his own version called the TKO (presumably Thomas Keller Oreo, right?) at the Bouchon Bakery.  I love TKOs (I seem to be the only one though.  There's always tons of these left long after many of the other treats are gone).  They're made with a bitter chocolate crumbly sable cookie ("burnt chocolate" is how TKO-haters have described it to me) and a soft white chocolate ganache filling.

With the TKO in mind, I set out to practice making my homemade Oreos.  I found this recipe for a chocolate sable cookie online ("sable" means "sand" in French, a clear nod to their crumbly texture).


Cookie Stats:
Cookie:  double chocolate sable cookie, cut with a scalloped round cutter
Decoration:   drizzle of white candy melts (I despise these things, and yet I use them all the time)

This recipe does not yield as deep a chocolate-y flavor as the TKO.  They're also much sweeter than TKOs. To many, this probably makes them more appealing.  But I enjoy the bitterness, so I'm still on the lookout for a good chocolate cookie recipe that equals the Oreo.

Daily Monku:  The last Harry Potter movie opens tomorrow.  So, in lieu of a written monku, see the video below for every time they ask a question for which the answer is "We have no idea!"

No comments:

Post a Comment