Navigation

|   Home   |   About   |   Broadway   |   Baking   |   Contact   |   Disclosure   |

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Independence Day Star Cookies

Independence Day is one of those second tier holidays.  A nudge above Martin Luther King Day.  A few steps ahead of Arbor Day.  It's historical significance is obvious, but when it comes to themed baking, Independence Day is a much tougher sell.

You're limited to three colors: red, white and blue.  If you're going natural, then you really only have two colors, since no foods (except for this crab and the Dory fish) are naturally blue.  In terms of acceptable shapes, there's the star... and that's basically it.

So with this in mind, I present my artificially colored, Independence Day Star Cookies.


You can tell by the (lack of) effort I placed on presentation, how special I think these are (ready to be served right off the sheet).

Cookie Stats:
Cookie: Rolled Sugar Cookie (1/4 inch thick), cut in star shapes
Decoration:  Marshmallow Fondant, swirled in red, white and blue; adhered by corn syrup

The fondant method of cookie decorating is an easy way to create neat (by neat I mean not messy; I don't mean neat as in swell), colorful, "iced" creations.  I roll the fondant to 1/8" thick, then cut out shapes with the same cutter used for the cookies.  The fondant is adhered to the cookies with a little bit of corn syrup.

I first learned about the fondant decoration method from The Flour Pot Cookie Book.  It's a great first reference for fondant cookie decorating.  However, in terms of actual techniques, it offers little more than the basics (which I just described above).  I would only recommend it for purchase if you feel you need creative help to come up with your own cookie designs.  In that case, The Flour Pot Cookie Book provides several specific decorating ideas (i.e. suns, flowers, shoes, fish, etc) to get you started.

At any rate, these star cookies are easy, quick, look great and fit the holiday theme.  Happy Baking and Happy Independence Day.

Daily Monku:  Why must families on vacation in New York walk down the street in a single wide line?  Do they not realize that by taking up the full width of the sidewalk, they're acting like human road blocks for people (namely me) walking in the opposite direction?  I've got places to go people (as in home, to feed my finicky cat).

No comments:

Post a Comment