Navigation

|   Home   |   About   |   Broadway   |   Baking   |   Contact   |   Disclosure   |

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reunited, and It Sounds so Nice

This year's A Capitol Fourth, the 4th of July concert in Washington D.C., featured two of my favorite Broadway performers, singing together once again: Kelli O'Hara and Matthew Morrison. Morrison, of course is now a household name due to his success on the hit tv series, Glee (I myself have grown quite tired of his character, the pathetic Mr. Schuster, but that's a whole different story).  O'Hara is a multi-Tony-nominated actress (I can't believe she hasn't won yet) with a wonderfully angelic voice.

For the Independence Day concert, O'Hara and Morrison performed a wonderful rendition of "Tonight" from West Side Story.  I especially enjoyed hearing Morrison return to his Broadway vocal style.  I've missed it amongst his heinous rapping and poor pop performances on Glee.  However, I did not enjoy Morrison's pathetic pop solo number in the first half of the video below (before the days of Glee, I would listen to Morrison's vocals on The Light in the Piazza and Hairspray OBCRs and think, "Man, that guy should have a solo album.  I would totally listen to his music."   Sadly, I was wrong, very, very wrong).



I first experienced the wonderful duo of Matt and Kelli in The Light in the Piazza, and then later in South Pacific (both on Broadway at Lincoln Center).  They have great vocal chemistry together, as well as some great aesthetic chemistry (by which I mean they are both good-looking people [by which I mean Matthew Morrison is very attractive; I still swoon when I think of the shirtless scene in South Pacific]).

I still prefer the near perfection of  The Light in the Piazza over this duet, but it was nice to hear Kelli and Matt (particularly Kelli, I've been missing her on Broadway) singing together again this past 4th.



Daily Monku:  I'm not sure if I can monku about my own habit, but seriously I don't know what my problem is when it comes to elevator posture.  Basically, if there is available space, I WILL lean on the walls of the elevator.  Why can't I just stand up straight and not lean for the less than a minute ride?  I don't know.  I mean I don't lean against subway doors, and I stand on the subway for a much longer period of time.  Sometimes I don't understand my own laziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment