Navigation

|   Home   |   About   |   Broadway   |   Baking   |   Contact   |   Disclosure   |

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Classic Linzer Tarts

After a recent foray into canning (why is it still called canning when everything goes in glass Mason jars? [Did you know Mason jars have to be capitalized 'cause they're named after some guy named Mason?]), I was stuck with six jars of homemade raspberry jam.  I like jam, but I didn't see how I could possibly consume that much in the course of a year (the standard prescribed life for home canned foods).  So at the suggestion of a co-worker (more like continuous nagging), I decided to try my hand at linzer tarts, the cookie version of a traditional Austrian torte.

This is a basic sandwich cookie, consisting of two almond shortbread halves filled with jam and topped with powdered sugar.  I used the first recipe that appears online when you Google linzer tart.  A simple cookie, but extremely tasty.


In bakeries, these cookies are often large, 3" or more in diameter.  I chose to make mine smaller, using a 1 1/2" diameter fluted round cutter.  I refrigerated the cut cookies before baking in order to ensure they maintained their fluted shape.

Cookie Stats:
Cookie:  almond shortbread cut with fluted round
Filling:  homemade raspberry jam
Decoration:  center cut out using round fondant cutter, dusted with powdered sugar

These cookies received very favorable reviews.  They are quite sweet, but as the sweetness comes mostly from the jam, it's not overly cloying.  The jam also adds just a hint of tartness that helps cut through the sweetness.

I will definitely be adding these to my cookie recipe rotation.  I think in future iterations, I might try reducing the amount of butter slightly.  I found the dough very soft (unnecessarily soft in my opinion).  Less butter (hopefully) means a stiffer dough that will be easier to work with.  I also recommend refrigerating the completed cookies overnight to allow the jam to soak in nicely.

Daily Monku:  This past weekend, I had a coupon for 50% off a bakeware item from Michaels craft store (plus an additional coupon for 40% any item).  I went there specifically to purchase a mini cupcake pan (or two).  Considering Michaels loves to pimp Wilton products, I couldn't believe that the Upper West Side store didn't have a single cupcake pan (mini or otherwise).  I checked shelf labels to see if they were merely out of stock.  As it turns out, the only cupcake pan Michaels carries is one by Duff Goldman.  Seriously?  No mini pans, and the only cupcake pan is by the Ace of Cakes (the guy who attempted to break the world record for largest cupcake and failed because he didn't actually make a cupcake)?

No comments:

Post a Comment